Saturday, May 23, 2009

Can't Think of A Posting Title For This One


I was reading the book Fight Club yesterday and if you haven't read it, it's twisted. Well the stories unnamed narrator has a this problem where he goes to support groups for random diseases so he can feel better about himself. He can't sleep at night because he is depressed and the medications he has are not working, so he came up with another way to feel better about his life. His favorite one that he goes to is testicular cancer, because when he goes there he hugs the crying men and goes home and sleeps well.
While I was reading this I began thinking from the narrator perspective. What if I was at my whits end with saddness and nothing made me happy? What if the only way I ever found happiness for only a short period of time was when I left support groups for termanilly ill people?
As twisted as it may be, I empathized with this unnamed narrator. I began feeling sorry for his monotonous lifestyle and battle with depression.
If only there was that one character in the book that said "You know what you need? You need Jesus." Ok that would ruin the plot of Fight Club and make it not as good as it is, but still. I felt obligated to jump into the story and hand him my Bible.
If only...


~JB~